Remember when ‘online marketing’ felt like just a tiny dot in the vast galaxy of marketing methods? Well, things have shifted.
A recent study highlighted that over 90% of businesses now consider online strategies as their primary marketing focus. Surprised? You shouldn’t be. As the marketing landscape changes, it’s essential to understand how principles have evolved
Keep reading to find out how the good ol’ 4 Ps have been transformed to prioritise YOU!
The Classic 4 Ps and Why They Ruled the Roost
For those who’ve been in the game long enough (or for newbies who’ve done their homework), the 4 Ps (Product, Price, Place, and Promotion) have been the bread and butter of marketing.
They were the pillars that held up any well-thought-out marketing strategy.
- Product: What are you selling?
- Price: At what cost?
- Place: Where can customers find it?
- Promotion: How do you tell people about it?
But as Bob Dylan once said, “The times they are a-changin’.” And while Bob probably wasn’t referring to online marketing, the sentiment still holds water.
The Customer’s Ascension: Centre Stage, Please!
The real stars of the show nowadays are not the products but the people buying them. The tables have turned, and businesses have realised that understanding and catering to the customer’s journey is the golden goose of online marketing. After all, a happy customer can be your loudest cheerleader!
So, what are these new principles that have overshadowed the 4 Ps?
Beyond the 4 Ps: A New Dawn for Online Marketing
If we don’t have the four Ps, then how will you COPE? (See what we did there?)
- Customer Experience (CX): Have you ever tried to buy a product online, but the website felt like navigating a maze blindfolded? A positive customer experience is all about ensuring the customer’s journey, from the moment they land on your website to the point they hit ‘buy’, is as smooth as a cup of Yorkshire Tea.
- Omnichannel Presence: A term that sounds fancier than it is, it’s about being available wherever your customers are. If they’re on Facebook, Instagram, email, or even good old-fashioned phone calls, you should be there too. And not just there – be consistent! (Speaking of which, have you checked out Cellfind’s pioneering omnichannel product?)
- Personalisation: We’re not talking about monogrammed towels. It’s about tailoring marketing messages so they resonate with individuals. “Oh, this ad gets me!” is the sentiment you’re aiming for.
- Engagement: Gone are the days of passive advertising. Engaging content, be it blogs, videos, or interactive elements, is the day’s order. If content is king, engagement is surely queen!
COPE = CX, Omnichannel, Personalisation and Engagement.
Does This Mean We Say Ta-ra to the 4 Ps?
Not quite! The 4 Ps aren’t heading off into the sunset. They’re the foundation, but the structure built atop has expanded. It’s like the 4 Ps went to university, picked up a few more letters, and came back more enlightened. The modern principles are an evolution, not a replacement. After all, at the heart of online marketing is still a product that needs promoting at a place and a price.
Embracing the Future While Nodding to the Past
Ditching the old and chasing the new is tempting in this digital age. But the wisest marketers understand that it’s about merging the best of both worlds. With businesses like Cellfind at the helm, adopting state-of-the-art tools like omnichannel products, and understanding the evolving marketing principles, we’re surely in for an exciting ride.
Wrapping It Up
Marketing isn’t what it was ten years ago, and who knows where we’ll be in the next ten? But one thing’s for sure, as online marketing morphs and moulds, the customer remains at its heart.
So, dear reader, remember to respect the past, embrace the present, and anticipate the future as you embark on or continue on your marketing journey. And if you ever feel lost in the vast sea of digital strategies, don’t hesitate to give Cellfind a call. We’ve got a knack for pointing businesses in the right direction.